Saturday, April 16, 2005

Satisfying Work

I really like David St Lawrence's principles of satisfying work. Please go read his post, but I wanted to also duplicate the main ones here:
  • Almost any work is satisfying if you can do it at your own pace.
  • The most interesting work in the world can be made unbearable, if you are forced to do it in a sequence and at a pace that is not of your own choosing.
  • Job satisfaction is actually more important than the money you take home. That is why acknowledgement from your peers and managers can easily make up for a lower salary.
  • Any job that requires you to lie for others will eat you out from the inside until you are no longer able to look at yourself in the mirror.
  • People will work unbelievable hours for little or no pay if they know they are helping to make the world a better place.
  • People will perform miracles working for a manager they trust.

2 comments:

Admin said...

I couldn't agree more. Great blog and I enjoyed your other site, too. Found it Googling "Kamloops" in search of other bloggers from my area. I see you are a Flikr user, too. If you happen to have pics of the Kamloops area, join our Kamloops Flickr Group { http://www.flickr.com/groups/kamloops } and post them. I'll be bookmarking Lifestylism - lots of great stuff...thanks!

Jeremy said...

Thanks, InstaMarv...glad you're liking the lifestylism.

I've lived here for ten years and I'm embarrassed to say that I've never been to Kamloops, which is odd considering it's become a mountain biking mecca in that decade and it's only a few hours away.