Monday, July 25, 2005

The New American Dream

I love what this organization is doing: The New American Dream. It's very closely aligned with the issues I've been exploring for my thesis, using the same language and a shared focus. Part of their mission is to get more people thinking about how they spend their time and money and how those decisions impact their quality of life and the world around them:
Living consciously means getting more of what really matters in life, being aware of what’s going on around you, finding balance, and having a little fun while you’re at it;

Buying wisely means becoming a positive force in the marketplace, using your purchasing power to support business practices that are safer for the environment and better for people;

Making a difference is all about making sure your citizen voices are heard, being active in your community and letting policymakers know where YOU stand.
I've occasionally railed against our vague assumptions about and implicit adoption of the American Dream, so this vision is welcome. It also reminds me that I keep meaning to post about Rifkin's The European Dream, a book I found fascinating a couple of months ago. Worth skimming, for sure.

No comments: